Should You Stay or Should You Go, Is Waiting for a Car Repair the Best Choice
Is it better to wait with your car, or should you drop it off for repair?This is a really big point of contention in the shop. From the service advisors to the technicians, everyone has an opinion, and they are all right, just ask them. 😉
Like anything, there are pros and cons to each. From a mechanic’s point of view, dropping it off is best. It takes any time pressure off of us and lets us be thorough. It also keeps a service advisor from bothering a mechanic while they are trying to work. I will save my opinion for the end. 🙂
Let’s take a look at some pros and cons a customer might experience,
Pros to waiting at the dealer
- You will generally get done faster if you are there waiting
- Most dealer have free snacks
- I can’t imagine a dealer not having WIFI, at least you can get work done
- It is a great place to meet folks. I talked to a customer that met his girlfriend in our waiting room. How cool is that!
- There will be no back and forth on the phone if the mechanic finds something wrong with your car.
- If they do find something wrong with your can, you have an easy out if you DON’T want to fix your car. “Sorry I can’t wait that long”.
- If something is wrong, you can see it yourself. Even if you don’t know what you are looking at, it will help to see something the problem, and prevent unneeded services
- You can test drive the newest coolest cars
- You have leverage to getting a better deal. Asking for a coupon or a loaner car so needed repairs can get completed. You won’t have that if you drop your car off.
Cons to waiting at the dealer
- You are stuck waiting at the dealer.
- It can get boring waiting, if the waiting room is lame
- There is a chance that a salesman will try to sell you a new car~only a con if you don’t want a new car
- You might get stuck longer if your car needs further repairs
- Again, YOU ARE STUCK there.
- You might have better things to do than wait
- Mechanics might rush through the job
Like I said there are some good and some bad about waiting. What about your other choice, leaving your car? Pros and Cons~~~GO!
Pros to dropping your car off
- You are not stuck at the dealer in a boring waiting room
- This will give the mechanics more time to do their job as thorough as they can.
- If the mechanic needs to contact a “help line” for assistance, they are free to do so.
- You just might get a car wash(no promise)
- If gives the mechanic a chance to earn the money you are paying. It keeps most of us from getting fussy.
Cons to dropping your car off
- You have to make arrangements for a ride twice
- You can rent a car, but that adds to the bill
- There will be multiple phone calls, emails, texts no matter what
- There will be even more phone calls if the mechanic finds something wrong
- You have to get your car by the time they close, or “No Car For You”(are soup Nazi joke lame)
- They might take their sweet time, and push your car until the end of the day.
- You BETTER trust your mechanic, you can’t see a problem like you could if you were there.(If you have been following my advise, that is not an issue) 😉
When I wrote that out, I really did make a strong case for waiting on your car didn’t I. To me, it doesn’t really matter. Yep, I not mind either way. If you want to drop your car off awesome! If you want to come and hang out while I work on your car, that is cool too. I strive to do the same job either way.
Just remember, it is YOUR choice. If you wait, do not get mad when it takes a little longer then you thought. 🙂
What do you guys think? Do you prefer to wait for your car at the dealer? What is your main reason? How can dealers make the waiting room better? Hit me with what you got!
If you want to make sure you NEVER miss a post(Why would you miss a post?) get updates 1st, get insider information, sign up for the email list. I wont sell your email or spam you, just give you awesome content, SPAM SUCKS!