Why Does A Volkswagen Key Cost So Much?

This situation happens about once a month.

Volkswagen Immobilizer Key

This is where the reader coil is located, just around the key hole.

Customer calls in saying they lost the key or keys for their VW. We tell the customer they will need to show proof they own the vehicle. Then they will need to have the car towed to the dealer.

Once the key comes in, we will have to program the new key to the car. The cost of a new Volkswagen key, remote, and programming is about $300.

So why the heck does getting a new key for a Volkswagen cost $300? My guess is the little mechanism that lets the key flip out is made of some top secrete element. Maybe a derivative of Turbonium? Okay, obviously that is not the case. Before we talk about why it costs so much, let’s talk

about how the system works.

Immobilizer

All VWs, and most every other newer car, are equipped with an anti-theft device that will prevent someone from “hot wring” the car. Volkswagen calls this system the Immobilizer. The car must see an authorized key, or it will not start. Well, on a VW, it will start and immediately shut off. ~FREE TIP, if your Vw start and shuts off right away, odd are you have an issue with the immobilizer system.

How It Works

There are 3 main components to the immobilizer system

1. The vehicle’s key

Volkswagen Immobilizer Key

This is what the actual transponder looks like

2. A “reader coil”
  3. An “evaluation unit”

The vehicle’s key has a chip inside of it called a transponder. It looks like a glass tic-tac. When you put the key into the ignition, the “reader coil” will energize the transponder in the key. Then the transponder will send a code back to the coil and on to the evaluation unit. If everyone is authorized, the evaluation unit will authorize the vehicle to start. If not, the car will start, or it will not stay running.

The Cost

Now that we know how the system works, let’s get into the cost. Anytime there is electronics in something the cost will go up. These new keys are not like the old ones you could get cut at the local Ace Hardware. Also, most newer keys have the keyless entry remote built into it. That will bring the cost up.

The keys and remotes also need to programmed to the car, adding a little more to the cost. That requires the vehicle to be at the dealer. When I program keys, I have to hook up the VW scan tool. Then we go online and retrieve the proper coding for the car. I don’t get to see the code anymore, it is loaded right into the car. Each key for the vehicle will need to be programmed to work properly.

Is It All Worth it?

Is going to all this trouble to prevent vehicle theft worth it? I think so. It will deter amateurs from stealing cars. But let’s face it, if someone really wants to steal your car, they will steal it no matter what you do.

I also have another tip. The keys that you find on Ebay, or that weird store in the mall are JUNK! I would say that ~95% of the keys that customers bring in to be programmed do not work. It stinks for them because they don’t really save any money. It usually ends in the customer paying twice for programming, or buying a key from the dealer anyway. Just be cautious when dealing in non factory keys.

If you remember what “Turbonium” is, post it in the comments. I am wondering if everyone knows what it is.

Humble Mechanic, , , Permalink

28 Responses to Why Does A Volkswagen Key Cost So Much?

1. Jeremy says:

Mine cans with a non flip VW key that doesn’t have a remote. All I can do it open doors. My dad once used it to start my car and was freaking out because it kept dying. Lol

1 likes

2. Ken says:

What is the more expensive part of the key? Cutting the key or programming it? In my case I still have the key but would need new electronic bits inside. They stopped working for some reason. The guy I was speaking to at the dealership was telling me they would need to re-cut the key?? I don’t really understand why since I still have that portion.

1 likes

• Charles says:

@Ken, the key with cutting is the more expensive part. We charge about $50 for programming the key.

If it needs the part that allows the car to start, then you would need a new key. My dealer doesn’t cut keys, they will only order a pre-cut key. We have a key cutting machine, but none of the parts guys want to cut keys.

• ismael sanchez says:

What is your email address or phone # please i need my key programed n i can’t afford to pay the dealer which they charge $300+ my number is 8134096128 text or call me please, father of 3

3. Matt Stone says:

Turbonium is the element that makes up and propels the second generation turbo beetle.

2 likes

4. the Rested Traveler says:

Are there alternatives to this? I have a 2010 Jetta and it came with two key fobs and a valet key … all of the keys work fine to unlock the doors and start the car the old fashioned way. Both of the fobs have quit working to unlock the doors, pop the trunk, or set off the panic alarm remotely though. I’ve replaced the batteries in both and still no remote love. Do I really have to replace the entire unit and have it re-programmed?

• Charles says:

You can try and get them reprogrammed before replacing them .

It’s strange that both of them stopped working.

• billy47 says:

Don’t feel alone, both of my remote keys for Jetta quit working…the usual, replaced the batteries at the dealership…problem fixed, hell no…remotes still don’t work! I’m having the fob replaced on one set and it’s costing me $200+ to have this done…time to change auto brands!

5. Anthony says:

Locksmiths can also cut and program these keys or make duplicates for you . We get our keys from strattec who actually manufactures the factory key blanks for most automotive companies including vw . Since we deal directly with this company our costs on the key are lower and we can cut them immediately with our own machines . We carry both factory with the logo and “aftermarket” or the same exact key without the logo which costs less. We can program these to the vehicle also if you break a part of the vw fob it is repairable since the key is actually three seperate pieces which consist of the key blade, the remote or fob and the transponder piece . The other alternative is the valet key which we can cut to work the same as the other key but still contains the transponder so it can be programed to start the vehicle also. Locksmiths prices go between $95 to $200 for the keys depending on which key you want . And as far as repairing the key we can do that for $15 to $100 depending on which part of the fob is broken

6. Anthony says:

We can also make keys if all keys were lost completely

7. Tim Lazuka says:

Can I order a key for my 2001 New Beetle? I am in CA and what is the cost?

1 likes

8. Ember Meadows says:

Charles,

I need a key programmed, can I send it to you and have you do it????

9. David Zierk says:

I am looking for a spare key to just open the drivers door in an emergency and have a second set of spare keys hidden inside. I own a 2013 VW Beetle with standard flip key ignition. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

• Charles says:

@David
      You can get a key cut for that. It will not start your car, but should do what you want. I like to think it would be cheap.

Or you can buy a key from Vw and just not have it programmed.

10. Tom Chapman says:

I just need a spare key for my 2010 jetta and do not want to pay the dealer 300 bucks any ideas I have a key that works fine just would hate to loose it , which I am very capable of doing.

• Charles says:

You can have one cut and not programmed. It will do you no good to start the car, but if you lock your keys in it you’re wgood.

Sadly car makers have us all over a barrel.

1 likes

11. Tim says:

The keys for VW’s and Audi’s seem expensive until you compare them to some of the other european makes.. BMW wants an arm and a leg, Mercedes wants both arms and a leg.. So the VAG group isn’t all that bad… A good locksmith can duplicate and program a flat key or a flip key to most 2000-2005 VW’s with no problems.. After 2005 VAG went to a little different immobilizer system. 2000-2001 cars had a chip in the key that the car would accept when you introduced it to the car, 2002- 2005 cars would accept the key chip, but also mark the chip with info so you can’t reuse the chip on another car. 2005-2009 cars need to have the chip in the key preprogrammed with the component protection data from the car before you can ask the car to accept it. 2009-2013 use the same system but with a different controller chip in the cars immobilizer box. The keys have come down in price, but you are still looking at a higher price than a Ford or GM key and remote.. Sorry, that’s just the way it is.. If you call a locksmith and they tell you only the dealer can do that, find another locksmith…
    Take care,
    Tim
    PS, we sell a plastic or metal copy of 1998-2013 that you can put into a key hider for as little as $15.00 and the stick on velcro key hider for $5.00.. It will open the door, but not start the car. We have a lot of outdoor enthusiasts here in the great northwest and they love these..

• Cowgirl says:

We’re can I get one of the plastic or metal hideakeys…contact me @ junkinjerry@gmail.com. I have an 02 jetta tdi

• Linda says:

I have an ’02 Jetta too.

You don’t need a special key hider – you can make your own by buying an extra strong magnet at a hardware store and putting in a tin – an Altoids tin or whatever is big enough to hold your key.

12. Ross says:

Just bought a 2011 Tiguan which came with just one key. Yep $300 for a spare at the local VW dealer… “bollocks to that.” What if I just take the chip out of my one good key fob and glue it to the ring containing the reader coil… then just get a bunch of cheap dumb keys cut … would that work? I’d still have the good fob for remote access for the Mrs and the kids would all have dumb keys.
    Just asking ???

• Charles says:

You can do that. That is how aftermarket remote start systems bypass the immob system. The issue is, it bypasses the immob system.

I would NOT recommend doing this if you have KESSY. That will most likely kill the battery and prevent you from locking the car.